I am sure the title will catch everyone’s attention. It is a very cute puzzle that Einstein invented as a child. The puzzle is also attributed to Lewis Carroll. There are many versions of this puzzle, the one here is copied from Wikipedia, and originally from Life International in 1962.
So here it goes for all the budding Einsteins!
- There are five houses.
- The Englishman lives in the red house.
- The Spaniard owns the dog.
- Coffee is drunk in the green house.
- The Ukrainian drinks tea.
- The green house is immediately to the right of the ivory house.
- The Old Gold smoker owns snails.
- Kools are smoked in the yellow house.
- Milk is drunk in the middle house.
- The Norwegian lives in the first house.
- The man who smokes Chesterfields lives in the house next to the man with the fox.
- Kools are smoked in the house next to the house where the horse is kept.
- The Lucky Strike smoker drinks orange juice.
- The Japanese smokes Parliaments.
- The Norwegian lives next to the blue house.
Now, who drinks water? Who owns the zebra?
In the interest of clarity, it must be added that each of the five houses is painted a different color, and their inhabitants are of different national extractions, own different pets, drink different beverages and smoke different brands of American cigarets. One other thing: in statement 6, right means your right.
As always, please send your answers as comments within the blog (preferred), or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please do share the puzzle with others if you like, and please also send puzzles that you have come across that you think I can share in this blog.
Happy playing with the Zebra!
House No. 1 2 3 4 5
Cigarette Kools Chesterfield Old Gold Lucky Strike Parliament
Nationality Norway Ukraine England Spain Japan
Pet Fox Horse Snail Dog Zebra
Drink Water Tea Milk Orange Juice Coffee
Colour Yellow Blue Red Ivory Green
Here’s the table that gives the answers to everything. We get the Norweigian to drink water and the Japanese to own the zebra. The process to finding this out is lengthy and full of deductions and of conjectures that are made and then disproved which is why I won’t post it here. I would say it is difficult (I can’t believe Einstein made as a kid), since it took me around 3.5 hrs to finish the puzzle..!
Norwegian Drinks Water
Japanese owns Fox.