I am posting the solution for Puzzle #164 before I do so for puzzle #163, which I will do next week. It was not too difficult a puzzle, and even if you did not try it with your children, please do so again, it will be fun. Thanks to many of you for correct answers – Pratik Poddar, Vishal Poddar, Prakhar and Sid Mulherkar. For a change, I also did the puzzle correctly 🙂
The answer is that 3&4 will be full together. Lets see it with the help of the following diagrams (entire answer copied from quora at https://www.quora.com/Which-pot-will-be-full-first?srid=3F2V&share=3bc98cec
It is simple Fluid Dynamics. Let’s do it on Paper assuming ideal condition. Keep imagining to understand.
- We have 1 water outlet & 4 tanks connected to each other as shown in picture.
2. Open valve, Tank-1 will be filled as shown below.
3. Now T1 level_constant & T2 level_increase
4. T1,T2 level_constant & T3 level_increase
5. T1, T2 level_constant & T3 level is increasing.
7. Now water will flow to T4.
T1, T2, T3 level_constant & T4 level_increase.
8. T1, T2, T3 level_constant & T4 level is increasing.
9. T3 = T4.
10. Now T2, T3, T4 level increase with same value.
11. T3 & T4 is completely filled.
Infinite condition all tank level constant. Water given to T1 will be totally spill out by T3 & T4.
*Ideal condition means all tanks & pipe connection are same, Room temperature-pressure, Fluid used water, No any type of losses, water flow at constant pressure-value, and “neglecting your high intelligence :P”
Hope you all enjoyed the puzzle.